When sending a sympathy card or note of condolence it is often difficult to know what to say or how to phrase your thoughts and feelings. We have compiled a list of appropriate and warm sympathy sayings to give you a guideline of what to write in a sympathy card. Feel free to combine phrases and write what feels natural and comfortable to you. The most important thing to remember while writing this is that your sympathy message comes from the heart. Your friend or loved one is going to appreciate that you are acknowledging their grief and honoring their loss.
We encourage your sympathy message to include a sentence or two sharing a memory of the deceased. Most people relate that receiving cards with personal memories helps them in their healing journey. They want to recall the wonderful and special memories of their loved one and when you share some special aspects of your relationship with the deceased, it brings warmth to their grieving heart. If you did not have a personal relationship with the deceased, don't worry and don't stretch to make up a memory. Just know that your message of sympathy will be appreciated.
- You are in my thoughts.
- Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
- We are thinking of you.
- We are thinking of you during this difficult time.
- With deepest sympathy,
- My sincere sympathy,
- Our warmest condolences,
- With heartfelt condolences,
- Please accept my condolences,
- We are deeply sorry to hear about the death of “name of deceased”.
- Remember that we love and care about you.
- As you grieve know that we are remembering you and honoring the memory of “name of the deceased”.
- With caring thoughts,
- With loving memories of “name of deceased”,
- Sent with love and remembrance,
- Our hearts go out to you in your time of sorrow.
- “Name of Deceased” will remain in our hearts forever.
- We pray the love of God enfolds you during your journey through grief.
We send you thoughts of comfort.
- Please accept our most heartfelt sympathies for your loss…our thoughts are with you and your family during this difficult time.
- With love and hugs,
- We will miss “name of deceased”.
- We share comfort in knowing “name of deceased” is no longer suffering. We send thoughts of sympathy and support to you as you begin your journey without “name of deceased”.
- Remembering you and “name of deceased” in our minds and in our hearts.
- With thoughts of peace and courage for you,
- We send you thoughts of peace and courage.
- Words seem inadequate to express the sadness we feel about “name of deceased” death. We are here to support you in your grieving process. With sincere sympathy,
- “Name of deceased” brought so many gifts to our life. We will never forget him/her!
- May your heart and soul find peace and comfort.
- Peace, Prayers and Blessings,
- Wishing you peace to bring comfort, courage to face the days ahead and loving memories to forever hold in your hearts.
- May you be comforted by the outpouring of love surrounding you.
- When reason fails, pray for peace. We will be praying with you.
- The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even
touched. They must be felt with the heart.
- May every sunrise hold more promise, every moonrise hold more peace. Author Unknown
- If the future seems overwhelming, remember that it comes one moment at a time. Beth Mende Conny
- Friends are the pillars on your porch. Sometimes they hold you up, sometimes they lean on you, and sometimes it's just enough to know that they are standing by. Author Unknown
- - Beloved -
You are forever loved
though this life fades away
and all mortal bodies decay.
You will forever be my beloved,
my immortal betrothed,
my enduring flame,
my guiding light,
my compass rose.
- Thomas Earl Hopson Jr. -
- Wherever you are you will always be in my heart. Mahatma Gandhi
- Believe in Angels. They express themselves in many ways, a dream, a whisper, coincidence an overpowering feeling. Author Unknown
- If I had a flower for every time I thought of you, I could walk in my garden forever. Alfred Lord Tennyson
- May the blessings of love be upon you, May its peace abide with you, May its essence illuminate your heart, Now and forever more.... Sufi Blessing
- Though nothing can bring back the hour
of splendor in the grass, of glory in the flower,
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind.
.... William Wordsworth
- Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal. From a Headstone in Ireland
- Although it's difficult today to see beyond the sorrow, may looking back in memory help comfort you tomorrow. Author Unknown
- They say love beyond the world cannot be separated by it. Death cannot kill what never dies. William Penn
- As you comprehend this profound loss... let yourself cry knowing each tear is a note of love rising to the heavens. Author Unknown
- To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die. Thomas Campbell
- Mourning can go on for years and years.
It doesn't end after a year, that's a false fantasy.
It usually ends when people realize that they can live again,
that they can concentrate their energies on their lives as a whole,
and not on their hurt, and guilt and pain.
.... Elisabeth Kübler-Ross
- Like a bird singing in the rain, let grateful memories survive in time of sorrow. Robert Louis Stevenson
- Though nothing can bring back the hour of splendor in the grass, of glory in the flower, We will grieve not, rather find strength in what remains behind. William Wordsworth
- You don't get over it, you just get through it. Your don't get by it, because you can't get around it. It doesn't 'get better'; it just gets different. Everyday... Grief puts on a new face.... Wendy Feireisen
- Perhaps they are not the stars, but rather openings in Heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know that are happy. Author Unknown
- Angels are watching over you
Wings wrapped gently around you,
Whispering you are loved and blessed.
.... Angel Blessing
- When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure. Author Unknown
- I know for certain that we never lose the people we love, even to death. They continue to participate in every act, thought and decision we make. Their love leaves an indelible imprint in our memories. We find comfort in knowing that our lives have been enriched by having shared their love. Leo Buscaglia
- The guardian angels of life fly so high as to be beyond our sight, but they are always looking down upon us. Jean Paul Richter
- When a soul dies, the winds will blow. The greater the soul, the greater the winds. Ancient Saying
- May the stars carry your sadness away,
May the flowers fill your heart with beauty,
May hope forever wipe away your tears,
And, above all, may silence make you strong.
.... Chief Dan George
- May the stars carry your sadness away, may the flowers fill your heart with beauty. Chief Dan George
- Each new life, no matter how brief, forever changes the world. Author Unknown
- How very quietly you tiptoed into our world, silently, only a moment you stayed. But what an imprint your footprints have left upon our hearts. Author Unknown
- As you danced in the light with joy, love lifted you. As you brushed against this world so gently, you lifted us. TC Ring
- For each thorn, there's a rosebud...
For each twilight — a dawn...
For each trial — the strength to carry on,
For each storm cloud — a rainbow...
For each shadow — the sun...
For each parting — sweet memories when sorrow is done.
.... Ralph Waldo Emerson
- For some moments in life there are no words. David Seltzer, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
- When the heart grieves over what is has lost, the spirit rejoices over what it has left. Sufi